What if I can't work?

What if I can't work?

Posted by Missy03 on Sep 7, 2018 5:07 pm

Hello! 
I just finished my first round of Chemotherapy (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) For now I am planning to work. Treatment every second Friday then returning on Monday hopefully. I plan to do this if I can. But what if it comes to a point when I can no longer work? I am a 24year old with student debt who lives alone. 
What are options I have? 

Re: What if I can't work?

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Sep 7, 2018 7:24 pm

Missy03‍ , your going to try and work through your treatments? My goodness, I wasn't able to .  I have coverage through Manulife.  You should check with your Chemo Onc.  about financial aid, I'm sure there's help for you in your situation.  

Re: What if I can't work?

Posted by jorola on Sep 8, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi Missy03‍ 
I can understand how scary this all must be at your very young age. What province are you in? I would contact your student loan office - I am sure if you were unable to work due to a cancer diagnosis they would halt payments (if they had a heart they would forgive your loan). Through work do you have a health benefit plan with sick leave? That would be your first go to. If not most provinces have a social program for those who cannot work due to a severe illness. Here in Alberta it is called AISH. No it is not very much money and you may adjust your lifestyle (move home or get roommate) to make things affordable. A social worker at your cancer clinic would be very helpful to you in exploring your options. I would look into this now as some of things things take time to research and time to kick in so at least by doing it now you are prepared if you cannot work. Good luck hun! Keep us posted ok?
Jodie