Nervous about Return to Work

Nervous about Return to Work

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Sep 2, 2018 1:55 am

Well September is here and I can't believe I will soon be making my way back to work.  When I read back on some of my earlier posts, I was pretty much determined to retire, yet here I am, doing a graduated return to work.  Isn't life strange, as the famous Moody Blues song goes.  At least retirement is still an option, I'm not gong back forever.  That's a relief.  

Re: Nervous about Return to Work

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 2, 2018 2:21 am

scaredysquirrel‍, I would feel nervous about returning to work, also...but it's true:  you are not going back to work forever...it's just temporary...

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Dec 29, 2018 2:36 am

If only I had stuck to this plan, I can't believe I didn't return to work as planned.  Retiring was a huge mistake for me.

Posted by MommaBear on Jan 2, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi, scaredysquirrel‍ 

Why?  What's changed your mind?  Are you not retired?  I thought lifting heavy boxes at university bookstore would be too much for you?
Sorry, I've haven't been on the forum for a while.
- MommaBear

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 3, 2019 1:41 pm

Momma Bear‍ , I did end up retiring, but not enjoying it.  I wish now I had put all my efforts into going back to work.  I can see where I confused myself with thinking I couldn't do my job anymore and the actual reality of it.  I know now I could.  I thought retirement was the answer but it wasn't.  It's too late now to lament about the past.  Trying to accept things as they are.  Feel hopeless about the future. Thanks.

Posted by MommaBear on Jan 7, 2019 2:47 am

Hi, scaredysquirrel‍,

I'd actually love to retire (in my mid-60s now) and still working five evenings a week fulltime to help pay down debt.  If I could afford it, I'd volunteer or work at a hospital, somewhere meaningful in light of all we've been through the past couple of years and the experience we gained.  I may try and do that in the near future, depending on how my mammogram goes in February and subsequent followup with my oncologist (fingers crossed)!   We could provide a lot of support to people going through what we went through in a hospital milieu. 

With your university bookstore experience dealing with the public (yes, students can be the most demanding!  I too worked at a university in Montreal for 6.5 years), have you considered applying for part-time, even casual work at local hospitals?  They often seem to be looking for dietary aides who often earn more than the office staff does.  If money is not a problem, then there are also many ways in which you can volunteer, such as simply accompany new patients around the hospital navigating between clinics and diagnostic areas.  The volunteers working at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto are marvelous and really seem to enjoy their work, ditto for Trillium and William Osler.  

I will keep you in my prayers.  Try not to worry -- yes, it's a challenge for me too!  Don't sell yourself short.  You've got a lot of life left in you!

Take gentle care,

- MommaBear