15 weeks sick benefits.... then what!!

15 weeks sick benefits.... then what!!

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Aug 23, 2018 10:07 am

Hello Ladies, I’m almost at the end of my 15 weeks of unemployed sick benefits, and I have no insurance through my work, now what ??? I have insurance coverage for treatment through my husband and gave up coverage through my work 2 months before I found out I had cancer. Go figure!!  Who knew that I needed it, my husbands coverage is great and free. I had to pay for mine and gave it up to save money. I will be off for another year and don’t want my husband to stress about what’s to come. I’m to young to retire, and wonder what to do next, I’m not sick enough for CPP disability, thanks government, I guess having stage 2 cancer does not qualify. I’ve read that if I have an addiction I would qualify, does chocolate count ??? 

Re: 15 weeks sick benefits.... then what!!

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 30, 2018 11:40 pm

Oh my goodness mycrazyjourney‍ , what a horrible predicament to be in while battling cancer.  I'm a stage 3A breast cancer and was also denied CPP-D.  My insurance is through work, but it was mandatory to apply for the CPP-D even though I knew it was unlikely to be approved.  It's crazy the hoops one has to jump through while trying to recover from a life threatening illness. Now my LTD is ending and I'm doing a gradual return to my work.  I'm quite a bundle of nerves about the whole process, but it seems like the right thing to do.  My job is very stressful at times as well as my commute which adds to my stress.  All I can do is try.  My husband is retired and has bad health too, but I don't want to worry him.  I'm putting on my "brave face" and going ahead.  Sorry, I didn't mean this to be about me!  I wish I could offer you some advice, but not sure what to say.  There must be some sort of help you can get.  Take care and try not to stress.

Share with your friends: