Early Retirement Possible

Early Retirement Possible

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 2, 2018 3:14 pm

I finally talked with my new Health and Benefits person at work.  She is very nice and is helping me figure out the next steps towards a return or early retirement..  I've really given it a lot of thought and even though I miss some aspects of my work and the people I connect with, I just can't see me going back.  I've got all the paper work for applying for early retirement.  My Manulife caseworker is calling me next week and I may have to do a few steps with that procedure, but it sounds like it will be okay.  They would be setting me up with a gradual return to work anyway as my chemo onc okay'd a modified return to work.  I feel better about it all. I will keep you posted how things go in the next few weeks.  

Re: Early Retirement Possible

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 2, 2018 3:17 pm

Glad you are feeling better about things scaredysquirrel‍ sounds like it is all coming together and you feel better informed and supported!

Do keep us posted!

Lacey

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 2, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks Lacey, will do!

Posted by Lyne on Aug 6, 2018 9:20 am

Scaredysquirrel, i was thinking of you and wondered if you had asked your HR for your numbers? What is the actual amount for your pension if you retire now versus if you retire at 65? 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 6, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi Lyne‍ , I have access to my municipal pension and can get estimates myself.  It's about $50.00 a month less if I go now vs waiting until 65.  Of course my CPP will be a little less too.  I'm talking with my financial adviser tomorrow.  Manulife is calling me on Wednesday.  I do need something to do though, I don't want to go back full time but would consider part-time.  Anyway I'll know in a couple of days what my next step will be.

Posted by Brighty on Aug 7, 2018 12:26 am

scaredysquirrel‍ let us know when you find out more info in the next few days!

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 7, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks Brighty‍ . I will!

Posted by Lyne on Aug 7, 2018 7:39 am

Yes please do.  I hope that both conversations go well.  That $50 will not be missed if you make the right decision for yourself! Good luck! 

Posted by Brighty on Aug 7, 2018 12:08 pm

scaredysquirrel‍  this is kind of weird  cuz we've never met but I had a dream about you lol.   You had long red hair in it.  Don't remember  anything  else much about the dream lol.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 11, 2018 2:25 am

Hey, Brighty‍ that is weird!  Thanks for the long red hair, lol

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Sep 3, 2018 1:10 am

Well, the retirement is temporarily on hold.  I'm going through with the gradual back to work program.  I hope I won't be sorry.  I'm already dreading my commute.  It's no fun especially during winter.  Oh well, live and learn.

Share with your friends: