Let's discuss cancer as an election issue

Let's discuss cancer as an election issue

Posted by Nicole_admin on Aug 25, 2015 11:02 am

As the weather slowly becomes cooler and summer comes to a close, it seems as though we're bombarded with political press and publicity.

Let's discuss, what healthcare issues would you like political parties to address in their election platform?

48ece484decab224c36b98199c47c041-huge-le

Re: Let's discuss cancer as an election issue

Posted by livingwithbladdercancer on Aug 26, 2015 8:52 am

I think one of the major issues is financial support for cancer patients. I was downsized about  six months before I was diagnosed with stage 3 bladder cancer. Thankfully I was on EI at the time and was able to switch it to EI disability for the last 15 weeks of the claim. The claim ended in mid June. I have only just finished my chemo sessions and am in the healing part of the process. I have not had a dime of income since mid June and my wife's income does not cover our expenses. We are in a position that if I don't find work in the next month we will have to start selling off our assets to survive, that includes our home, etc. I have worked all my life and paid my taxes and I think it is appalling that when someone is in the worse position of their life, they have the added grief of watching everything they have worked their entire life for, slowly fade away. It is so wrong. If I were a refugee - covered. If I was on social assistance -covered. If I were dying - covered. But I am going to survive and the prize - loose everything I have worked for. I know there are a lot of people in the same boat, many if far worse situations - this has to be addressed.

Posted by Nicole_admin on Aug 26, 2015 9:38 am

Hi livingwithbladdercancer, I couldn't agree more with you. Thank you for sharing a bit about your experience with us. I would love to see all of these things that you have mentioned not only be campaigned...but be brought to reality for the thousands of Canadians going through one of the most difficult times in their lives. 

Posted by Carcinogen Abolition on Aug 30, 2015 1:33 pm

No matter what our working and health situation, everybody deserves a "Guaranteed Livable Income" (GLI). A form of GLI is being considered by the Alberta NDP Finance Minister. Breast cancer survivor CBCs Wendy Mesley made a free online documentary about her experience - and an end to all cancer. That, and BC Cancer Agency's Dr. John Spinelli, have raised an election issue that when implemented by Health Canada, will prevent most causes of cancer. See Dr. Spinelli interviewed in the Living Downstream trailer. BC Cancer Agency libraries have the documentary for borrowing. Or this public library link might provide it free online.

For an Ottawa committed to preventing cancer,
Larry Wartels

Posted by Carcinogen Abolition on Aug 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Look for this DVD at BC Cancer Agency libraries:
Poster
It talks about a plan that Health Canada can adopt which will prevent most cancer. The NDP has already called for this plan.

Watch breast cancer survivor CBCs Wendy Mesley's Chasing the Cancer Answer, which also talks about the plan to end the cancer epidemic.

CBCs Wendy Mesley
Wendy Mesley, CBC TV Fall 2010 Preview media event - Red Carpet

Posted by soggybottom dad on Sep 2, 2015 3:15 pm

highly unlikely our politicians will listen. As for support..you mean MONEY!  There is enough cash spent on Cancer and so far no results.
Soggybottom dad